SUMMER FAIR HIGHLIGHTS — Gerald Baker

GERALD BAKER will be exhibiting at the forthcoming Summer Fair on June 4th. They will have the following items for sale:

 

R & J. Beck, Ltd.

 

BECK MICROSCOPES

R & J. Beck, Ltd., London, [1930s], 116pp., numerous illustrations, beige cloth boards, titles blind stamped in black to covers and spine. Near fine condition, just a hint of wear and minor pencil annotations on two pages. Previous owner’s inscriptions appear on the front endpaper.

A delightful and extensive catalogue of microscopes and microscope accessories manufactured by R. & J. Beck, a London-based optical manufacturing firm formed in 1843.

 

From a collection of similar catalogues issued by various manufacturers (Watson & Sons, C. Baker, E. Leitz and James Swift, etc.), which I will be bringing to the fair.

£85

  

 

 

Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Ltd.

WHERE TO LIVE

Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Ltd., London, [early 1920s], 20pp., photographs, marbled blue thick paper covers, tipped in colour illustration to front cover. 4 loosely inserted leaflets (for houses). Contents very good with a bit of wear. Covers also very good, just a touch faded and with some light creasing. A previous owner’s inscription appears on the top of the front cover.

 

When the Metropolitan Railway built its lines to the northwest of London, it was allowed to retain surplus land, which was developed for housing from 1919 and sold through the Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Ltd. ‘Metroland’ areas in this brochure include the Cedars Estate in Rickmansworth, Kingsbury Garden Village in Neasden and Chalkhill estate in Wembley Park.

£85

 

 

 L[ouis] Lemarchand for the Folies Bergère (photographs by Walery)

 

LA REVUE DES FOLIES-BERGÈRE. LA FOLIE DU JOUR. QUATRIEME ALBUM 1926 -1927

 

Editions Artistiques de Paris, March 1926, small folio, 40pp. of captioned photographs by Walery of the performers (including a number of Josephine Baker),  thick paper covers, the front cover with embossed titles and circular cut out revealing part of a colour illustration of Baker, glassine dustwrapper. In very good condition with a little wear, the dustwrapper worn with some loss. The fourth in the Folies Bergère ‘Albums de Luxe’ series, first published in 1923.

The Folies Bergère in Paris opened in Paris in 1869 as a light entertainment venue and was well renowned for its extravagant costumes and, in the early 1920s, its nudity. Josephine Baker, an American who arrived in France in 1925, first appeared at the Folies Bergère in 1926 in this, their new revue ‘La Folie du Jour’. She was to become a hugely successful & highly paid entertainer. She could not repeat this success in her home country, however, and after her marriage in 1937 she became a French citizen. In the war she was an active member of the French resistance and after the war she was awarded the Croix de Guerre. She died in 1975. Walery is purportedly Lucien Walery, a photographer working in Paris in the 1920s, who specialised in portraits of dancers in the music halls. His images of Baker are particularly well known.

 £95

 

 

After John Hassall (illustrator)

 ‘BUNKERED’ & ‘A DRIVE’. A PAIR OF LITHOGRAPHS AFTER JOHN HASSALL IN ORIGINAL FRAMES

 

1909, 71 x 27cm, with title to lower left and ‘Hassall’ to lower right, printed by J. L. Goffart, Bruxelles, published by Lawrence & Jellicoe Ltd., London. Presented in matching original oak frames, which are painted black, with hanging cords. The images are bright and clear with minor marks – ‘Bunkered’ has a thin dust-stained top edge. The back of ‘A Drive’ is foxed and browned.

John Hassall (1868-1948) was an English illustrator known for his designs for advertisements and posters, including his famous ‘Skegness is SO Bracing’ poster for the North Eastern Railway.

 

£650 the pair

 

 

The Railway Times

CHARING CROSS, EUSTON AND HAMPSTEAD RAILWAY. FORMAL OPENING, SATURDAY JUNE 22, 1907 BY THE RT. HON. DAVID LLOYD-GEORGE, M.P.

 

1927, small folio, reprinted from the Railway Times, 16pp., illustrations, paper covers. A horizontal fold and 3 short, taped, closed, edge tears, otherwise very good condition. A rare item I’ve not seen before.

The Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway, also known as the Hampstead Tube, was established in 1891 but it was not until the early 1900s and after it had been taken over by Underground Electric Railways of London that the funds were raised to enable it to be built. When it opened in June 1907 it ran for around 8 miles from its southern terminus at Charing Cross to its two northern termini at Archway and Golders Green. On the opening day an estimated 127,500 people took advantage of free fares!

 

£110

tags: , , ,

Related Posts

© 2017 Etc Fairs | Bloomsbury Book Fair, Royal National Hotel, Bedford Way, Bloomsbury, London | Site Map | Contact | Links